TFC II Lose Heartbreaker Against Louisville City FC

TFC II were back home on Wednesday, but fell to the East leaders Louisville City FC 2-0. The match was a chippy affair that saw both teams make hard tackles and the referee make some questionable calls for both sides. It wasn’t the young Reds’ best performace of the season, as they conceded two goals that were easy enough to get rid of.

“It’s disappointing for sure. Two pretty sloppy goals, and our target this year was to limit the amount of goals that we concede,” said head coach Jason Bent after the match.

The first goal came off a corner kick in the 5th minute, when a ball that was intially punched out by Quillan Roberts, was headed by Louisville defender Conor Shanosky and looked to be tipped in by a TFC II player. The second one was just unlucky. Roberts went out to clear a ball at the edge of the box and his clearences went off the hand of Nick Hagglund. The ball then went right to Louisville’s Niall McCabe and he was able to chip a nice shot into the empty net.

This was TFC II’s third straight defeat and second in which they failed to score.”It’s a difficult one to take and we haven’t scored in the last two games, which makes it all the more difficult to get points,” said Bent.

The young Reds did look more confident in the second, as they stormed out and challenged Louisville’s backline more. However, Bent mentioned that second goal in the 65th really defleated the team. “It definitely affected the team for sure.

“Did we deserve to win the game? Probably not, but maybe a point might have been just rewards.

“Football ultimately comes down to making plays in both boxes and unfortunately for us they made more the plays in the boxes.”

The clubs best chance probably came in the 92nd minute when Raheem Edwards swung a low cross to an open Sal Bernal, who had an empty net in front of him, but was denied by the rushing Tyler Newman to keep his teams clean sheet alive.

It was difficult for the young Reds to get something started for them against Louisville. The seemed to lack pushing the ball up and couldn’t get by the congested midfield. Midfielder Liam Fraser, who put in 75 minutes of action said the team was caught off guard, but came out in the second half more composed and ready.

“I think we came back strong, even though there was a one nil deficit. I feel that we rallied ourselves back up… we got the midfield back in the second half. I think that was a massive part of us coming on stronger. But again it’s all about creating chances. That’s all we need to continue to improve on.”

In a match that did see things not go TFC II’s way in regards to putting the ball in the back of the net, Bent did stay postive and mentioned that having first team players benfited both the players loaned down and the whole team.

“You saw some first team players come down and get some valuable match minutes. They could be training weeks on end, and unless you get that competitive environment against a good opposition tonight, that would have done them some good.”

Daniel Lovitz was one of those senior players that saw action on Wednesday. Lovitz played the full 90 minutes, something he hasn’t done since pre-season. This was an important match for him to stay fit and show he can provide something to the first team.

“It’s always a good thing to get minutes. I was thrilled to get in and feature a little bit on Sunday. It’s good to have this as a tool to develop a little bit,” said Lovitz.

Lovitz added that both goals were unlucky and things like that really change a game. “On a different night we could put one in… I think we did a good job of pushing forward and not really conceding too much of the back throughout the course of the game and getting broken down.”